Bobo Choses: A Legend January 18 2017
"In the huge sky of sports there are big stars, strong stars, fast stars, so dazzled by their light they can't see each other. But among the many stars there are a few that shine with a modest, special light of their own; caring stars, brave stars, frightened stars, and tenacious stars. It is time they become legends..."
The Bobo Choses SS17 collection is inspired by sporting legends who weren't afraid to be different, challenge themselves and overcome their limitations. Famous champions and quiet fighters alike are recognised as brave icons in this collection, encouraging the children who wear these clothes to never give up playing and learning.
To shop the full collection, click here
Advice from a Caterpillar - Gone Surfing! January 17 2017
Who's For Hibernating? December 24 2016
Last Minute Stocking Stuffers? Restless Kids? Sorted! December 22 2016
2/3 cup butter (at room temperature)
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup honey
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp milk
2 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 cup chocolate chipsExtra Equipment
A sewing needle
Sewing thread or fine ribbon
White Christmas December 22 2016
Astier De Villatte
Happy Holidays From Advice To You! December 21 2016
Have Yourself A Bonpoint Christmas! December 19 2016
Where Will You Escape To? December 19 2016
Imagination Is Just The Beginning... December 16 2016
It is more blessed to give than to receive December 15 2016
Image from Italian Decorator Alessandra Branca.
It is more blessed to give than to receive.
The holidays symbolically represent the season of giving. The good news is that a new study suggests that social support to others may even benefit the giver more then the receiver.
According to the study from the journal of Psychosomatic Medicine, participants were divided into two groups, one group was asked to give and the other to receive. Both self-reported receiving and giving social support were associated with reduced vulnerability for negative psychological outcomes.
However, when the researchers conducted a series of MRI neuroimaging tests to explore the neural mechanisms of how specific brain areas were affected by giving versus receiving social support, they found that giving ultimately had greater brain benefits than receiving.
The power of giving reduces stress and activates the reward related part of your brain and the zone that gives you pleasure.
So when you are running around this holiday season and life seems to get a little overwhelming, know that you can always recharge with a little giving to the loved ones around you. It will be our little secret that you are getting the better part of that exchange.
Journal of Psychosomatic Medicine http://bit.ly/2gDBRN9
Photography is an immediate reaction, drawing is a meditation. December 14 2016
The Experience Of Drawing December 12 2016
"Drawing is the artist's most direct and spontaneous expression, a species of writing: it reveals, better than does painting, his true personality." - Edgar Degas
Presenting Mr Bear... And How to Make Him! December 08 2016
"Nearly eleven o'clock," said Pooh happily. "You're just in time for a little smackerel of something."- Wise words from our favourite hungry bear, Winnie the Pooh
Baking is one of those things that can be very nostalgic, especially at this time of year. Who doesn’t have a memory of those seasonal smells wafting from the kitchen, delightful promises of mom’s famous cookies or grandma’s Christmas pudding. Baking is best when it’s made with loved ones and shared, and if they’re thousands of miles away (as my family are) then it brings me a little piece of home when I can’t be with them.
Not to mention that now the days are shorter and colder and wetter (is the snow ever coming?!!), the thought of spending an evening inside with my warm oven creating something delicious is very tempting indeed. And if the finished product is adorably cute too? Sign me up!
This season we have some fun baking moulds and cutters in the shop, and I have the privilege of showing off our adorable teddy bear to you! Below you can find my family’s recipe for carrot cake (the one and only recipe worth baking, trust me – not that I’m biased at all…) but Mr Bear doesn’t always have to be a cake. Why not mix some goodies like chocolate chips, candied ginger and almond pieces into some softened vanilla ice cream, then pour it all into Mr Bear lined with some plastic wrap? Freeze, turn out and voila! Ice cream cake! Or how about Mr Bear Jell-o? He’s a very versatile young sir.
If that doesn’t persuade you, well – just look at that face. How can you resist? You can find Mr Bear online (here) or in our bricks and mortar shop in Rosedale, Toronto.We'd love to see what you're baking this holiday season, especially if you have a go at our favourite little bear! Share your creations on Instagram @advicefromacaterpillar_
CakeCream Cheese Frosting
2 cups flour (I used whole wheat) + some for dusting the tin
2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
2 ½ tsp baking soda
1 ½ cups vegetable oil
3 cups grated carrot (approx. 4 small/medium carrots)
Optional: 1 cup walnuts/pecans/sultanas
½ cup cream cheese, cold
¼ stick of butter, at room temperature
½ cup powdered sugar
½ tsp vanilla
1. Preheat your oven to 180˚C/360˚F.
2. Grease and flour your tin. This is REALLY IMPORTANT because Mr Bear is an unusual shape with lots of nooks and crannies. Use a pastry brush or piece of kitchen paper to cover every inch of the tin with oil, then put a small spoonful of flour into a sieve and dust the whole tin with a thin layer of flour.
3. Sift the flour into a large bowl and add all the dry ingredients. Give it a good mix.
4. Beat together the eggs and oil in a separate bowl until well combined, then stir into the dry mixture.
5. Add the grated carrot (and nuts/fruit if you’re using) and mix well.
6. Pour a shallow layer of cake batter into Mr Bear and give the tin a gentle tap against your countertop. This helps prevent any air bubbles from ruining his cute face! Then continue to pour the mixture into the tin, leaving at least ½ inch clearance at the top to make sure the mixture doesn’t spill out when cooking.*
7. Bake for 40 minutes – 1 hour, until the cake is springy to the touch and a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.* Leave to cool completely.
8. While the cake is cooling, prepare your cream cheese frosting. Whip the cream cheese with a hand mixer (or good old elbow grease!) until it is smooth, then gradually add the butter until you have a smooth, light mixture. Whip as much as possible at this point – not when the sugar is added.
9. When you add the sugar and vanilla you want to stir the mixture as little as possible, or your frosting will go very runny. Sift all the sugar into the bowl with the vanilla, and use a metal spoon to gently fold it all together.
10. Pop your frosting into the fridge until your cake is ready to decorate.
11. When the cake is completely cool (no shortcuts here - it needs to be cold), run a plastic spatula around the edges, gently easing the cake away from the sides of the tin. Then flip it over onto a plate or chopping board and give the tin some firm taps until Mr Bear emerges. Be patient, and don’t rush! It may take a few goes.***
12. Now let your creativity run wild and give your bear some personality! Use the frosting to add features and clothing, and add the final touches with chocolate drops or some dried fruit.
*It’s always wise to put a baking tray underneath the tin while it’s in the oven – just in case!
**Check the cake before the end of cooking time – you may need to reduce the temperature slightly if it is cooking too fast on the outside.
***If you’re still having trouble removing your cake from the tin after a few rounds of spatula and tapping, try this technique here (and don’t panic!)
Drive December 05 2016
Bobo Choses - How To Disappear... Clothes For The Everyday December 03 2016
Believe December 03 2016
1. Oeuf Unicorn Sweater in Rose 2. Atsuyo et Akiko Emily Magic Wand in Pink 3. Atsuyo et Akiko Emily Magic Wand in Gold 4. Atsuyo et Akiko Emily Magic Wand in Silver 5. Moulin Roty Tea Set in Lilac Case 6. Atsuyo et Akiko Jewel Ring in Grey 7. Glueckskaefer All In One House in Pink 8. Atsuyo et Akiko Golden Locket Necklace in Silver 9. Atsuyo et Akiko Ruby Dress in Pink 10. Oeuf Unicorn Hat 11. Atsuyo et Akiko Elizabeth Headband in Gold
Let Me Adjust My Crown and Get My Day Started December 03 2016
A Bit Of Sparkle For Every Home November 30 2016
* A Little Bit Of Sparkle * November 29 2016
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wonder are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.” - J.R.R. Tolkien
Gift Ideas: Dreamland November 22 2016
And Whoooooooo Are Youuuuuuuu??? October 27 2016
There is definitely a start to a chill in the air! The perfect winter coats for your little ones. Easy to wear, easy to play, easy to wash! See our winter collections online
Pequeno Tocon Fall Winter 2016 Collection October 14 2016
Pequeno Tocon meaning “the smallest ones in the house” is a small Spanish family brand for newborn to 6 months. Using fine cotton fabrics, this Barcelona company collection is both stunning and charming.
Pequeno Tocon now available in store and online!
Bacabuche Fall Winter 2016 Collection October 12 2016
Bacabuche designed by Los Angeles designer’s Valerie Welebir and Dana Sobota, is a contemporary baby and child collection made with 100% organic cottons, minimalist design and neutral colour palettes.
Their fall winter 2016 collection is now availble in store and online
AC Recipe: No Bake Energy Bites September 30 2016
We were lucky this week to have one of our girls, Brittany Mark, share her wonderful recipe of healthy bites!
We’ve all been there, the morning preparation of that beautifully crafted healthy and nutritious breakfast orchestrated together by moms for their littles ones to enjoy before the dash to the schoolyards.
Sadly, you may be warmly greeted with a little voice stating firmly "I don’t like it" . And as any good mother you try with great composer to remain calm, smile and eagerly prepare another few options before you realize nothing is to these little ones likings. You are then met with the mad dash to drop off with now a handful of snacks that will subside and give you piece of mind those little tummies will devour something the least bit substantial before the bell rings.
Don’t fret ! We wanted to share one of our favourite SUPER simple and perfect snacks for those “in the pinch moments” (and they are kid approved)!
No Bake Energy Bites! So healthy, so easy, so yummy!
These bite size snacks need no baking time prep: 35 minutes max.
Serving roughly 1.5 dozen that can keep up to one week in the refrigerator
Grains: 1 Cup Dry Quick Oats
Baking Essentials: 1/2 Cup Sunflower Seed Butter
**substitute in with Wow Butter, Almond Butter even Peanut Butter for home snacking
½ Cup Chocolate Chips, 2/3 Cup Coconut Flakes, 1/3 Cup Honey, raw, 1 tsp Vanilla Extract, 1 tbsp Chia Seeds
1. Bring all the listed ingredients into one large mixing bowl. Have the little ones help in this step and begin to really mix everything in. Be sure to get all the oats coated with the sticky ingredients leaving no dry spots.
Form a ball and cover with saran wrap and place inside the refrigerator for 20-25 minutes. (This process will allow a better bite size formation).
2. Remove from the refrigerator and roll into 1 inch bite size balls. These can then be placed inside an airtight container to be kept in the refrigerator for up to one week..that is if they last that long!
**Please be playful with this recipe - feel free to add in Dried Cranberries and White Chocolate Chips, or Flax Seeds etc this is just a great guideline to get started.
Photography by Cooking Classy and Life in the lofthouse
The Perfect Everyday Collection by Nico Nico September 29 2016
The perfect everyday collection by @niconicoclothing in store and online #niconicoclothing #kidsfashion #schoollife
The Magical Beauty of Astier de Villatte September 27 2016
The magical beauty of Astier de Villatte @advicefromacaterpillar_ @astierdevillatte
White on Grey. A Nursery’s Perfect Accessory September 23 2016
White on grey, your nursery’s perfect accessory @anneclairepetitaccessoires #floorcushion #pinapples
Mini Rodini Second Shipment is Now Available - Cheetah Print September 16 2016
Mini Rodini second shipment is now available!! Honey badger don’t give a #minirodini #wintergear #playful #childrensclothing
Celebrating in Store! Cataleya Cashmere Collection September 10 2016
We are having a party!! Celebrating the beautiful cashmere collection from @cataleya_paris pop by the shop today for some bubbly and place your order for the perfect gift! Orders will be here for the holiday season! #childrensstore #childrensclothing #cashmere #babygift #frenchclothing #italiancashmere
Trunk Show Cataleya Cashmere Collection September 09 2016
An invitation to a trunk show #cataleya sept 10 from 11am to 6pm. Presenting lasting pieces in a timeless style, focussing on quality design and comfort. Orders placed will be delivered in time for the holiday season! Select styles from newborn to 8years #cashmere #perfectgift #stylishbabyclothing #italienmade #beautifulbaby #cashmere baby clothing
Nico Nico Fall 2016 Collection September 09 2016
A shop favourite! Nico nico fall ‘16 leggings in store! #acfavourites #childrensstore #childrensclothing #niconico #leggings #space
Nico Nico Now Available Online September 03 2016
Nico nico clothing now available online!! @niconicoclothing #coolkidsclothing #organicclothing #advicefromacaterpillar
Oeuf NY Fall Winter 2016 Collection September 02 2016
Oeuf NY is a Brooklyn based company that evokes the image of simple, clean and intuitive design. Oeuf has teamed up with indigenous women in self-managed communities in Bolivia to create knits like this one.
The Oeuf NY Fall Winter 2016 collection is now available online.
The Bobo Chose Back to School Sweater August 22 2016
The perfect back to school sweater #BoboChoses #advicefromacsterpillar #toronto #kidsclothing (at Advice From a Caterpillar)
Bobo Choses New Arrivals August 11 2016
Bobo Choses new arrivals! Now online! @_bobochoses_ #fallcollections #kidsclothing #kids #spanishline #howtodisappear
Nico Nico Field Tent July 19 2016
A beautiful collaboration between @kalonstudios and @niconicoclothing made entirely of birch wood, leather and canvas. On sale now @advicefromacaterpillar_
Album di Famiglia is Celebrating 15 Year of Design April 29 2016
Album di Famiglia is celebrating 15 year of design. Italian designer Monica Rusconi of Album di Famiglia have crafted an imaginative women’s and children’s collection of various shades of grey, white and pastels using the highest quality materials. These collections are designed for longevity with minimalist cuts.
View the collection here
RAIN RAIN April 07 2016
You know how it is with an April day.
When the sun is out and the wind is still,
You’re one month on in the middle of May.
But if you so much as dare to speak,
a cloud come over the sunlit arch,
And wind comes off a frozen peak,
And you’re two months back in the middle of March.”
- Robert Frost, Two Tramps in Mud Time, 1926
Ace & Jig Spring 2016 Collection February 29 2016
A Peak into Bobo Choses Spring Summer Collection January 05 2016
A peak into Bobo Choses SS16 Collection!
“Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up” - Pablo Picasso
Bobo Choses SS16 Collection available online January 19th at 6am.